October 7, 2022

Carlos San Juan urges Calviño to move forward with senior banking advancements

Valencia, Sept 23 (EFE).- Carlos San Juan, promoter of the campaign “I’m older, not an idiot”, has asked the Minister of Economy, Nadia Calviño, to continue the progress made to treat the banks for the elderly and “don’t stop now”, in some “hard” moments also for the elderly.

When six months have passed since the signing of the protocol by banks to improve access to their services for the elderly and people with disabilities, including extended opening hours of personal service in offices, personal and preferential telephone assistance and ATMs with simplified language, these Valencian doctor has maintained that it is “non-negotiable” that one hundred percent of bank branches are not yet working full-time, because it is “a public service”.

Now, 80% of establishments have full face-to-face hours, but the remaining 20% ​​only work until 11 a.m., “strangely” in “sensitive” areas such as high-population neighborhoods, he detailed in statements to EFE.

San Juan also refers to the minister’s pledge to implement the law establishing the Financial Client Defense Authority, which has already been approved by the Council of Ministers but has not been published in the BOE, and asks her to know at what point. There are the procedures for that. will become effective and what measures it will continue to take to solve the problems of older people in banking services.

“I appeal to Minister Calviño to take us into account. We understand that there are many problems: the pandemic, the war in Ukraine, the energy crisis… We also suffer from prices, but the fact that a person does not have sufficient access to their pension is a very serious damage” , said San Juan, who started a campaign in January this year collecting more than 600,000 signatures on the change.org platform.

And he adds: “We need this law to be approved and to defend the most vulnerable user”, the elderly, who cannot be asked “to have a smartphone, with applications and a master’s degree in computer science” and that “when they want to go and ask what happened to those 10 euros, that’s 5 minutes, come to us”.

In 2021, the number of complaints to the bank was “outrageous” and 70% were resolved favorably, but that percentage equates to people who have support, not those who don’t even know how to claim. “It is inadmissible for them to impose restrictions on schedules or appointment requirements,” San Juan added.

The promoter of the campaign has acknowledged that he was satisfied in the interviews he had with Calviño and he seemed to him “a prepared, serious and respectful person”, so he asks him to remember the elderly, who are the most vulnerable sector. being of society.

He believes that there is a paradox when the benefits of banking continue to increase, but the ATMs do not change to make them easier or the applications are not changed, and demands, as stated in the law establishing the Authority for the Defense from financial clients, that it is possible to file a complaint without a lawyer or attorney, that the compliance supervisor is the Bank of Spain and that compliance with the measures can be assessed by an external body.

“I’m not against anyone, I’m saying continue as it started, that it started very well,” said San Juan, 79 years old.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.